Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Blog interview - my first.

Today, I did a telephone interview with quite a successful entrepreneur. He agreed to the blog interview but asked to remain anonymous.
Me – “Good afternoon Mr. X”
Mr. X – “Good afternoon and how are you all this while Hanafi?”
Me – “Not bad. How long have you been in the entrepreneurial line?”
Mr. X – “I started in 1998 in the middle of the great Malaysian economic crisis and never look back since then.”
Me – “You are doing trading mainly in timber largely to the international market when it is a well known fact that timber industry is facing sliding trends, do you have any comments on that.”
Mr. X – “I have maintained a number of loyal international clients who constantly demand timber and other products for several years now. The way of doing business is so much different from the past and some of the products traded by my Company were not even from our shores. Sometimes the merchandises were from China, Indonesia or other countries, unlike in the past where most of the products I traded were from Malaysia. Seems that globalization does take effect for traders like me.”
Me – “How did you start up financially and did you get any assistance from Government agencies.”
Mr. X – “It was hard initially; I exhausted my VRS monetary compensation from my previous employment around RM150, 000.00 (I was holding a senior position from a listed company then) with some saving, I open a small office, the rest for my working capital. Up until now, I have never applied for grants or loans from any Government agencies available for a Bumi entrepreneur.”
Me – “I know your wife personally and I reckon that you have successfully raised a wonderful family with 4 kids. I heard your eldest daughter is doing tertiary level. Does a career of an entrepreneur affect your family life? Do you have any comment if any of your children go into business?"
Mr.X - “I met my wife in the USA when we were both Government sponsored students in Michigan, yes she is a perfect wife and understanding towards my career. As a businessman, sometimes I have to leave the country for a number of days for outstation. She’s been my pillar of support even though she has a stable career of her own. Well, I pray to god that my children’s are blessed with entrepreneurial strength and spirit. Our family have been through thick and thin together and a lot of lesson have been learnt.
Me – “Thank you MR.X, I wish you all the best and may Allah bless you.”

Next, I will be interviewing an entrepreneur from a Pasar Malam in Masjid India KL.
So, tune in to the next post.

No comments: