Wednesday, September 5, 2007

About GPS, pocket pc and a new hand phone.






Last week I felt like rewarding myself after working very hard when finally I decided that I need a gadget to help me getting around easier in Klang Valley. Of course I live in Kuala Lumpur but aside of the city centre I got lost all the time especially if I need to go to PJ, Damansara, Cheras, and Gombak etc.

After countless online research on GPS receiver or ‘Global Navigation Satellite System’ (a device that can sense a US Military satellite and became popular nowadays as navigator to determine the user location, speed and direction), I short listed 3 models of different brands of either 'GPS cum pocket pc', 'GPS cum hand phone' and 'GPS cum pocket pc cum hand phone'. The brands are HP iPAQ rx5700 Travel Companion with price tag of RM1,688.00, Nokia 6110 Navigator with price tag of approximately RM 1,450.00 and lastly Asus P735 about RM1,900.00.

As the average KL guy, I normally do my gadget shopping in the famous Low Yatt Plaza so I went there last Saturday. I window shopped at the mezzanine floor in the hope to get good bargain when a shop assistant at Digi Shop by the name of Joseph suggested to me Glofish x500 with a price tag of RM1,780.00. Glofish is a brand by Eten (Taiwanese) that I have not come across in person except few ads encountered in computer related magazines like Chips and PC.com.

I believe the price is the cheapest compared to other Pocket PC Phone with GPS but I can assure you that I don’t make buying decision on price alone. Style, design, practicality, specifications, product warranty and compatibility to my lifestyle are most important factors. I like my gadget not too bulky yet adequately comfortable for screen viewing. The offer was good enough for me as I received 2 batteries, 2 styluses, a Bluetooth headset, a charger, a car charger and a holder to be used in the car, a leather case and 1GB micro SD card. So the fish became my adopted son.

At home, I started to play with my ‘Glofish’ which has been equipped with Windows Mobile 5.0, which is not a problem to me as previously I have used a Windows CE with my iPAQ. The rest of the functions are quite average for a pocket pc but I like the ergonomic positions of X500 application buttons which are easy to access and simple enough to use, for instance the camera button with the icon is placed on the right giving the feel of a real camera. Graphical display from ample screen size is also very sharp especially indoors. I tested the multimedia with movies and they display good and clear enough for me.

Everything else connected perfectly except that it is not easy to master the GPS which can only be detected outdoors and the lack of manual from the ‘Glofish’ and the software provided which is ‘Map King’.

Even after few days I am still struggling to master the GPS device. I can’t put the blame solely on me as the menu itself is very confusing. Well, I won’t give up; however, if there are anyone out there who are well versed in GPS navigation device who can offer me an advice, I will very much appreciate it.

Below are the specifications of my Glofish X500
CPU: Samsung SC3 2442 400 MHz
Memory: 128 MB Flash, 64 MB SDRAM
Display: 2.8'', 65'536 colors QVGA, 240 x 320 pixels resolution
Dimensions: 113 x 59.5 x 15.5 mm
Weight: 146g (with battery)
Communications:
GSM/EDGE quad-band 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
GPRS/EGPRS Class B / Multi-slot 10
Bluetooth v2.0, Class 2 + EDR
WiFi IEEE802.11b/g

GPS:
Embedded SiRF Star III chipset
TMC function supported
SiRF Instant Fix (Ephemeris Extension)

Camera: Built-in 2.0 mega pixels CMOS camera, up to 1600 x 1200 resolutions

Expansibility: Micro SD card slot
Windows Mobile™ 5.0 software for Pocket PCs , Microsoft® Office Outlook® Mobile (Calendar, Contacts, Tasks and Inbox), Picture, Notes, Microsoft® Office Word Mobile, Microsoft® Office Excel® Mobile, Internet Explorer Mobile, ActiveSync, Calculator, Game (Solitaire, Bubble Breaker), Voice Recorder, Microsoft® Office PowerPoint® Mobile, MSN® Messenger, Microsoft® Transcriber, Windows Media® Player 10, Direct Push Technology, Microsoft Reader* (* subject to change by region)
Glofish X500 Applications:
Phone Tools : Phone Application*, Phone Setting, SIM Toolkit, Speed Dial, Call Filter, Wireless Modem, Dialer Skin, Add Ringtone, CSD Type, Voice Commander*, Connection Wizard, SMS Sender, SIM Manager, Skype Receiver Switch (*subject to change by region)
Multimedia Tools: Image Wizard, Image Maker, Multimedia Manager, Camera, Camcorder, FM Tuner
GPS Tools: Satellite Data Update, Location SMS, GPS Viewer

No comments: