Saturday, July 21, 2007

New toys and experiments. Ubuntu and USB flash applications.


Hi there.

Lately I have lots of sleepless nights as I was experimenting with two things 1.Linux software in particular Ubuntu. 2. Portable Applications I installed to my USB flash drive or pen drive.

I successfully installed an Ubuntu as a second OS in my Vista Acer Aspire 5570 notebook and it is now a 'dual boot' notebook which I can have options to choose using 'grub boot loaders'. As thrilling as it was for me, you guys should try it out as it is an open source OS complete with comparable office software namely open office, internet browser, multimedia tools and so much more all inside the OS. Its free to download, just make sure you have a fast internet line.

As for the 'dual boot', the idea came after I read Adrian in his article in blogs.zdnet.com .Thank you Adrian for the inspiration. Although Ubuntu is lacking in its desktop graphic of Vista (aero) and Mac but I am pretty impressed with everything else and not less as I even watched videos, browsed internet, edited pictures, etc. etc. all in just one installation of an OS. At first, my fear obstructed me to explore as I was not familiar with terms like terminal or sudo or gedit, etc. as I am a long time window user but the fear proof to be not confounded as within days I easily familiarized myself pretty well. Thanks to Uncle Wiki and few net forums I visited.

I would like to recommend Ubuntu to small and medium size business like myself as the cost effectiveness is excellent. For your info , you can download it free or ask for the CD. Another things there weren’t any device conflicts, even my wireless mouse was detected for the very first time I installed Ubuntu to my notebook. Installation was also a zippy.

For those who like to save money and try out the OS, happy installing.

No comments: