Saturday, July 21, 2007

Small things, big features. USB flash drives.

Hi there,

Looking at USB flash selling nowadays can be a pretty interesting affair not just because their quaint design but also the practicality of the devices. In KL for about RM60 you can get a 2GB or less than RM40 for a 1GB, prices far lower than when they were first came to shore. I ended up having 12 pieces different brands, shapes and purposes. Kingston Migo IGB, now broken lids still good inside, 2gb, Apacer for my ready boost 1GB, 2 GB, Apacer 4 GB which I installed my dsl (damn small Linux for those who are not familiar), 2GB Transcend Crusoe for my business documents, 4GB SanDisk Cruzer (my favorite) with U3 software applications pre-installed. Few more without famous tags but with candy colors for music, photos and cabinet of love letters. Oh, and few SD's and micro SD too. Flash flash flash. some with password protection only I can access ..YAY.

Why the obsession? Do I need storage space as the original purpose when they were first introduced? Is it fashionable to cat walking the flash. Maybe. But all my flash candies have their purposes since the introduction of portable software (most of them freeware) to me by my dear Uncle Google and cousin wiki.

I now browse internet with my favorite 'portable opera' only or download with my portable bit torrent, make calls through my portable Skype and do my profit loss spreadsheet with portable open office. Those out there who have yet to discover portability please ask uncle Google...the most famous is www.portableapps.com, and who said good things don’t come free. I mean the software not the USB flash.

I heard office 2007 was released few months ago with a price tags around RM700-900 depend on versions, well if you plan a honeymoon with that money good news is that there are free office applications that comes portable too with no license issues. Do a favor to your business if you operate your own like me, keep out of piracy and save money by legitimating your software.

OK, till then good night.

No comments: