Monday, July 23, 2007

Tired of looking at the window.


After breakfast with my friend this morning I got back to my workstation planning on my manuals and modules....I really hate those stuffs. Then I remember that I have a Mandriva live CD that I downloaded and burnt myself, the Linux version that I wanted to test for quite sometimes. Ok, my manuals for Augusts’ training can be put on hold.
Wait, let me finish my 'tongkat ali' coffee first.

Booting was quite a breeze after I set my vista notebook (the same Acer aspire 5570) to boot from CD. 20 sec later the interface appeared and I was running the OS from 'live cd' without installing it to my hdd, unlike the Ubuntu which took twice as long. To my disappointment, compared to Ubuntu, Mandriva lacks color or visual on the interface the moment it’s on screen, all I see is the famous penguin in the middle, not much for a dashboard.

All my hardwares including accessories are detected pretty convincingly including the on-board Wi-Fi card and my wireless infrared mouse.
I have to make some adjustment to the fonts yet can’t get any smoother than Vista or Ubuntu.

Well, I need smoother fonts as I am getting older....let’s try to read some e-mail....one from Mawar (she was a pretty classmate of mine when I was very much younger), Syed Rajah, oh Rasali and Razak Manan. Wonder why Rasali's e-mail got to the 'Bulk mail' of my yahoo folder.

Overall, no problem with visual or audio using Mandriva and the OS is pretty fast with all the necessary tools like Office applications built-in. My eyes got tired easily without pretty visual effects that Vista or Ubuntu or Fedora could offer so I decided to log off Mandriva and go back to Vista. My curiosity for Mandriva can be appeased tonight by asking friends from 'mylinux' chat room in dalnet...FYI, my nick there is 'onthewaytolinux' in case you want to check me out there.

Happy surfing

No comments: