Monday, July 23, 2007

No one is buying or are you not selling?




Hi there,

That’s a picture of me on my way to Medina.

A young friend came and asked me out for late breakfast this morning. I am not a fortuneteller but I can sense that he’s in trouble. I was right....though it’s not 'emergency trouble' but still a trouble that you can lose lots of sleep. His for not generating enough business for his printing company to survive. Poor guy, I can’t help but maybe my advice can be good to him...maybe.

He operates a nice office cum shop that can be overrated as upscale for a printing business in an upscale locality in KL. He confessed to me that he hopes clients will pour to his shop and get big revenue out of it. He said that he’s not the type to go out and get business but rather people come to him. eheh. When I asked about the MOF certificate and Bumi certificate he’s clueless.

Based on my years of doing business, I think the most important strategy is to plan your marketing, without it you will be in dire strait. Nevertheless, vital part of it is your basic salesmanship. For an SME, there’s no way but to go out and find your clients. Don’t forget, equipped your business with proper documentations.

For a beginner, before you go scouting for business, a 'company profile' is essential, if possible, bring along a nice brochures, pamphlets etc. Make yourself presentable and shoot...go meet your clients. I did that and in the process I also get lots of friends (that if you are friendly). Make sure you know your stuff pretty well. Be nice to everybody from the front desk clerks to the top ranking VIP; believe me you never know that they can help you although some are not decision maker. Listen, not only by playing golf that you can gain business, sometimes fortune smiles at you during 'teh tarik' with your clients. Remember to put aside your ego no matter how good you think you are.

Show a pleasant personality. As for me I always make sure that my mood is intact or else I fake my emotion so people can be happy talking to me ha-ha. Don’t forget to be a good listener.

Don’t be afraid to dirty your hand (I don’t suggest that you never wash your hand). I remember long time ago, I was waiting for a turn for my biz presentation (I was trying to sell my software) when while waiting, a lady asked me to another conference room full of executives, they were having problem with their LCD projector that cannot flash anything. The lady thought that because I am in IT, I can do miracle with anything including the LCD projector.

To be honest, those days I have no basic idea even how to switch-on an LCD projector. I carved a confident smile and proceeded by pinching all buttons available including the electrical plug. Deep inside, I was so nervous and pray to god that I can do this. Voila, the LCD loves me and the whole conference applauded. You know what, think it back again, I could refuse the lady and tell her I came not for the LCD but I am glad that I help. OK, to make it short, I lost on selling the software (my initial purpose) but I got better business from one of the boss from the conference.

Last but not least, make sure you deliver what you promise. And about the LCD projector, now I have 25 LCD projectors myself. ha-ha.

Till we meet again

No comments: