Sunday, July 22, 2007

Home made Curry Puff aka karipap.

The ability to cook is one of God's blessings to me though not as commercially as Chef Wan or Chef Diva. This morning I felt like cooking my own 'karipaps' and I did. I made ten big karipaps, ate 3 of it and packed the rest for my sister who lives in Shah Alam. It took me a half hour to do the karipaps.All Malaysian Bloggers Project

Let’s do the break even analysis of the 'karipaps' business. Hmmmm assuming labor cost (myself is free), flour RM2.00, salt and spices RM0.50, a can of sardine RM2.00, butter RM0.80; cooking oil RM1.00, gas etc RM1.00. Total variable costs = RM7.30 or RM0.73 per piece. I think the market value of my chunky karipaps is RM1.00 a piece hence I made gross profit of RM2.70 (RM10.00 - RM7.30) or RM0.27 per piece.

What if I decide to charge RM10.00 per half hour for my salary plus my other fixed costs, then I have to make 37 karipaps just to cover all of my costs. It calculates like this = RM10 (fixed costs) + RM0.73x37pieces (variable costs) = RM37.10 is my total costs for 37 pieces of karipaps that I can fetch for RM37.00 if I sell RM1.00 per piece. Mathematically, It will take nearly 2 hours for me to make 37 karipaps.

My conclusion, karipap business is not for me. Cheers for the karipap sellers and lovers all over Malaysia.

No comments: