Friday, July 27, 2007

Horror everywhere.

If you ask me out to watch movies in theatre, I am the one who are always able and ready. No problem, be it Western, Chinese, Thai or Malay, I love watching all sort of films. Harry Potter, Transformer etc...I watched them the first week they arrived with full anticipation.

However, of late, I realized Malaysian producers are over emphasizing on horror. Yeah, there are few like 'Cicakman' and 'Mokhsin', but most of them are focusing on horror themes. Starting from 'Pontianak HSM 1' and sequels, 'Jangan Pandang Belakang', 'Puaka Tebing Biru', 'Waris Jari Hantu', 'Zombi Kampung Pisang', 'Syaitan'...many more. Broadcasting on local TV, there are 'Nek Na', 'mysteria', 'anak kera' and those are from Astro Ria alone, with RTM, TV3, NTV7 joining the bandwagon with their own versions.

What I am trying to say is, 'are we facing dearth of creative input?’ or perhaps we like to be follower and do what people are doing. Same goes with our 'bumi' entrepreneurs, only small group will dare to differ, the rest only follow. Look at our fashion industry, food industry, retailers, most are carbon copies from others. I won’t elaborately comment on this issue but as much horror you get from cinemas, its horror looking at our business scenes too.


Movies anyone?

No comments: