Sunday, September 16, 2007

Shopping online with AmBank NexG prepaid MasterCard


It is a known fact that shopping online is not a favorite pastime for Malaysian. The number one reason, is the fear of being phished, scammed, hacked or whatever names they call it these days. I personally have confronted a phishing site 2 months ago when trying to pay a bill online using my Maybank2u.com when the Firefox browser I was using informed me on time that the site (not the original maybank2u.com) was a phishing site. Even though I was lucky enough to escape, that incident gave me few sleepless nights.

But what if I really need to shop online like buying a domain name and site hosting which are customarily selling efficiently online. Try ‘www.godaddy.com’ or even ‘yahoo small business’, despite the fact that they are among the cheapest in the world but they accept no more than payment online. I guess, my safest alternative is to pay with a prepaid debit card so I can control the amount of balance thus minimizing the risk of doing transaction online.

I did just that when I bought my domain names, www.hanafionline.com and www.nafibiz.com, both from 'godaddy' and ‘yahoo’ with an ‘AmBank NexG prepaid MasterCard’ that I bought from Seven Eleven nearby where I live. The card sold at RM25.00 and I can top it up according to my approximate amount that I need to pay online after I have verified my identity with a form provided and forwarded through fax. Other special benefit from the card is that the bank automatically covers me for RM10k in personal accident insurance for the first year.

Right after the payment transaction, I called the bank and asked for the detail of my transaction and they willingly gave me the info of my transaction up to my balance after confirming my identity. Now I can be rest assured my transaction is in a safe hand. Well, I suggest that you too pay with a prepaid debit card if you are not confident enough to do transaction online.

Good night and happy surfing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is the fastest growth credit card in Malaysia at this moment, I reckon is Malaysian is now more willing to transact online.. go e-commerce

Anonymous said...

At last, i found somebody who have used this card for online shopping... hehe.. Actually, I got this card also... but never tried it before because of "credit card phobia.."